https://i0.wp.com/cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/5018/eaf42724f351412cbe952e1424c6d4cb.jpg

Johannesburg – Conditions are still too unsafe to rescue a 5-year-old boy who fell into an open mineshaft in Witfield, on the East Rand, over the weekend, Ekurhuleni Emergency Services said on Monday.

“Today we will determine what measures we can use to rescue the child. We are also in talks with the community members,” EMS spokesperson Vincent Khoza said.

Rescue South Africa helped with the operation, but the ground around the shaft was too unstable and it was called off on Saturday.

He fell into the shaft between 12:00 and 13:00 on Saturday.

“When we went to his mother, she said he went out to play. One of his friends told us that he fell into the shaft,” Khoza said.

Residents alerted emergency services.

Locals set two trucks alight on Saturday, because they were angry that rescue services could not get the child out, Ekurhuleni Metro Police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Kobeli Mokheseng said.

They burnt tyres and blocked roads with rubble and rocks. No arrests had been made.

Source: News24

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s